Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Les Mis is Thursday!

We are so excited in my classroom. Thursday is our big trip to see Les Miserables. Today we finished the Stepping Stone Classics adapted version of the book. This is the first time I have used a Stepping Stone book and we loved it. The staff loved it, even our die hard, read Victor Hugo's original (I read it too), Les Miserable fan thought it was a nice adaptation. If you have students capable of understanding on about a second to fourth grade level these adaptations make great read-aloud books.

The students favorite part of the Les Miserables unit (until we actually see the play), I think, was not the book or the music but my multiple re-enactments of the musical using puppets made out of print outs of each character from Google Images and popsicle sticks. They really liked the chase scenes. I also imported the images into Boardmaker so that I could make many worksheets about the characters and the plot.

Another great thing has been that the theatre where we are seeing the play (North Shore Music Theatre) has a blog with pictures of the set and cast. The pictures didn't go up until nearly the end of our unit, but we did print out the images and discuss them.

Read more about my reasoning on the theatre and students with multiple disabilities here.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had an excellent time on your trip and thanks for passing along the tip. I'm going to look into the Stepping Stones books for my students.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet