Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Dance

A while ago I wrote a post in the "My Voice Is My Power" series called "First Ventures". It was about a friend I had in high school who was an AAC user.

This past Saturday I went to a dance for adults with disabilities (because my "step-brother" - in quotes because my dad hasn't actually remarried yet - is invited along with our entire family to this event every December). I looked around the room and heard this loud sound like, "Hey You!" and saw a man in a wheelchair positively freaking out with joy and trying to wave his arm at me. He was so excited and I immediately recognized him. It was my friend from high school. I went over to say hello and was asked (via AAC/total communication) to dance with him. After dinner we did dance and he managed to point out all our other friends from high school who were there as well. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't remember all their names, but they remembered mine. By the end of the evening I had danced more than I have in some time, I had been given about 2 billion hugs, I had been invited on a trip to Disney World and marriage had been proposed (which I remember happening about 50 times a day from this friend when we were in high school). Good times.

The experience was one of the most joyful I have had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet