Saturday, June 6, 2009

What should I get for my new room?

I have a feeling I have answered this before, so fogive me, but I have been e-mailed a couple of times recently by new teachers or teachers changing to a new population asking what they should ask for as the building blocks of adapted devices/assistive technology for their new classroom of learners with severe or multiple disabilities.

Although the specifics will vary depending on the age group, the budget, the computers and other educational technology available in the room and other variables here are the items I would ask for:
Note: try using the search feature to search this blog for ways to use any of these items.

Other fun things to consider:
  • the Webber Functional Communication Game gets TONS of use in our classroom (I won it as a door prize at a conference a couple of years ago and it is one of my most prized possesions)
  • All About Me, All About You and Yes or No also get lots of use (although I often re-word questions based on the student to allow them to be answered using a particular communication system)

Some friendly advice:
Make sure you know the warranty and repair policies of the companies you are ordering from as well as their reputation for making durable products:
Also keep in mind pretty much every AT company require a return authorization number for returns or repairs - so call first!

1 comment:

  1. How about a Canine Companion??? CCI will provide a Facilities Dogs free of charge to a special needs classroom, just just a littl training... www.cci.org :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet